Third Global Report on Adult Learning and Education - National Reports
‘Of the 195 UNESCO Member States, 139 participated in the survey and collected data which have been used in this Report to provide analyses and derive conclusions. This participation rate shows the interest of countries to monitor progress in adult learning and education. The data and the information also make it possible to monitor trends over time’, Arne Carlsen, Director of the UNESCO Institute for Lifelong Learning.
Based on its experiences of GRALE I and GRALE II, the UNESCO Institute for Lifelong Learning (UIL) developed a simple monitoring survey for GRALE III in consultation with the UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS), the UNESCO Global Education Monitoring Report team and external partners such as the World Health Organization (WHO), the International Labour Organization (IL), the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), as well as academic experts in the field of Adult Learning and Education. Bringing these partners together ensured that existing data sources – for instance UIS data on literacy – were drawn on to devise 75 questions covering the five areas of action outlined in the Belém Framework for Action, namely: policy; governance; financing; participation, inclusion and equity; and quality. The survey questionnaire was available online and was translated into the six UN languages (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish).
Monitoring survey data for researchers
GRALE III monitoring survey data are made available in SPSS (quantitative part only) and Excel format (quantitative and qualitative part). To use these data appropriately, scholars will require at least basic knowledge of data analysis methodology as well as experience in the use of statistical software packages.
The data set is available in a comprehensive version, which includes all variables, and in versions for each of the individual chapters. Please refer to the list below to choose the version best suited to your purpose.
Complete data set
- Data set including all quantitative variables (download .xlsx 0,2 MB | MS Excel)
- Data set including all quantitative variables (download .sav 0,2 MB | SPSS)
- Data set including the quantitative variables on monitoring the Belém Framework for Action (download .xlsx 0,1 MB | MS Excel)
- Data set including the quantitative variables on monitoring the Belém Framework for Action (download .sav 0,1 MB | SPSS)
- Data set including the quantitative variables for the thematic chapters on health and well-being, employment and the labour market, and social, civic and community life (download .xlsx 0,1 MB | MS Excel)
- Data set including the quantitative variables for the thematic chapters on health and well-being, employment and the labour market, and social, civic and community life (download .sav 0,1 MB | SPSS)